Police Chief - City of Roanoke, Virginia
The City of Roanoke (population 100,220), the largest municipality in southwest Virginia, encompasses 43 square miles. It is the principal municipality of the Roanoke Metropolitan Statistical Area. The City provides its diverse population of residents 49 officially designated neighborhoods, 60 parks, and more than 90 miles of greenways and trails. Roanoke has 24 public schools, 16 private schools and twelve college and universities within 25 miles. Roanoke serves as the region’s education, medical, shopping, recreation, and cultural hub anchoring Virginia’s Blue Ridge.
The City of Roanoke, a full-service urban community, is seeking police professionals with experience as Chief or Deputy Chief as candidates for the position of Chief of the Roanoke Police Department. The Police Department has a complement of 263 sworn officers, consisting of a Chief, 2 Deputy Chiefs, 4 Captains, 12 Lieutenants, 31 Sergeants and 213 Officers. There are 42 Civilian positions that support the services provided by the Department. Candidates meeting the position criteria with a history of exceptional leadership, capable of moving the Police Department to new levels of success, are encouraged to apply. The Roanoke Police Department enjoys a history of working openly in partnership with the community to foster an atmosphere of trust. The position of Chief of Police is open due to the promotion of the current Chief to a position of greater responsibility in city government.
A candidate for the position of Chief of Police:
• Must be a proven leader, who recognizes the significance of working collaboratively.
• Must be an exceptional communicator, able to thoughtfully represent the interests of the Department and the City, with a high level of community presence.
• Must possess a Bachelor’s degree with major course work in the field of law enforcement, public administration or related field; a Master’s degree is preferred.
• Have executive management training, or completion of equivalent training, in at least one of the following: FBI National Academy, Southern Police Institute or Senior Management Institute for Police through the Police Executive Research Forum, Northwestern University School of Police Staff and Command, NC State Administrative Officers Management Program.
• Must have at least ten (10) years of related command experience as Chief or Deputy Chief in a similarly sized urban municipality.
• Experience as a police department administrator in a CALEA Accredited Agency is preferred, with a commitment to sustaining in Roanoke the programs and benefits derived from the accredited status.
• Have a proven track record of success in a diverse community; understands, communicates and effectively interacts with people across cultures.
• Must be a Certified Law Enforcement Officer in the Commonwealth of Virginia, or able to attain certification through the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Service.
Candidates must possess well-developed communication and public presentation skills, as well as utmost integrity, and be committed to the long-range success of the Roanoke Police Department. The Police Chief is appointed by and reports to the City Manager.
The salary range for the position is $104,037 to $201,371 with starting salary DOQ. The City offers an excellent benefit package. Residency within the corporate limits of the City of Roanoke is required. The position is open until filled, with the review of initial applications beginning with those received on or before July 7, 2023. Submit resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references to Paul Harlow and Joseph De Lopez at www.GovHRjobs.com. Electronic submissions are required. Telephone inquiries: (847) 380-3240.
Roanoke, VA 24011