Community Service Officer
Job ID: 20248
Location: Tampa, FL
Department Number/Name: 0-0261-000 / University Police
Salary Plan: Staff
Job Code/Title: 8203 / Campus Security Officer
Hiring Salary: $27,000
Position Number: 00038401, 00038552, 00038553, 00038554, 00038555, 00038556
Community Service Officers (CSO) are non-sworn employees providing support to the sworn law enforcement officers of the USF Police Department through various duties including: crime prevention, safety patrol, as well as other non-law enforcement duties throughout the campus, these goals will be met by interacting with diverse groups of people within the university community. The Community Safety Officer (CSO) is vital in providing a communication link between the university community and the USF Police Department and greatly enhances the departments capabilities to serve the University Community.
• Patrols Assigned Areas to include, but not limited to: opening and/or securing facilities, card access alerts, verifies doors are closed and locked, and weekend calendar of events. Completes notices for unsecured areas. Completes work orders for non-functioning locks or doors. When not otherwise assigned, patrols campus on foot or via motorized cart.
• Community Assistance to include, but not limited to: safety escorts (foot or motorized cart), directions to students, staff, faculty and visitors. Provides campus information and other assistance as required.
• University Support to include, but not limited to: lost/found property, motorist assistance, physical security reports, hazard safety reports, register bikes and property, fire/evacuation drills, flag management (raise, lower, replace damaged).
• Law Enforcement Support to include, but not limited to: elevator entrapment and/or malfunctioning (stuck) elevator, perimeter control and scene integrity, skateboarding enforcement, observe and report suspicious activities/persons, assist with special watches/details/bolos.
• Investigative Support to include, but not limited to: logistics and/or maintenance support, special events support (large scale events), desk and/or duty officer.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Information for Applicants
This position is subject to a Level 2 criminal background check and drug screen.
Job Opening Number: 20248
Posting Date: 04/15/2019 – Re-posted
Posting End Date: 06/20/2019
How to Claim Veteran's Preference:
This position allows eligible veterans and their spouses to claim Veterans’ Preference pursuant to Florida Statute 295.
Applicants claiming preference are responsible for providing required documentation AT THE TIME OF SUBMITTING APPLICATION; such documentation is required for eligibility determination.
Supporting documentation, in addition to the DD214, may be required based on eligibility criteria. If you are submitting a DD 214, please ensure the social security number and date of birth is redacted/removed.
For information on obtaining a DD 214 visit http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/ or call
How To Apply
Click on the Apply Now button. When applying to an opening you will have the opportunity to upload a cover letter and resume.
Apply online by completing the required information and attach BOTH a cover letter and resume to be considered for this position. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position.
Click here for additional tutorial information.
Equal Employment Opportunity
USF is an equal opportunity, equal access academic institution that embraces diversity in the workplace.
Campus map and location overview: USF - Tampa Campus
The University of South Florida System is a high-impact, global research system dedicated to student success. The USF System includes three institutions: USF; USF St. Petersburg; and USF Sarasota-Manatee. The institutions are separately accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. All institutions have distinct missions and their own detailed strategic plans. Serving over 48,000 students, the USF System has an annual budget of $1.6 billion and an annual economic impact of $4.4 billion. USF is a member of the American Athletic Conference.
Working at USF
With more than 16,000 employees in the USF System, the University of South Florida is one of the largest employers in the Tampa Bay region. At USF you will find opportunities to excel in a rich academic environment that fosters the development and advancement of our employees. We believe in creating a talented, engaged and driven workforce through on-going development and career opportunities. We also offer a first class benefit package that includes medical, dental and life insurance plans, retirement plan options, tuition program and generous leave programs and more.
To learn more about working at USF please visit: Work Here. Learn Here. Grow Here.
This position requires a valid Driver's License.
Must meet the requirements of Chapter 493, Florida Statutes and have a high school diploma and one year of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at any equivalent rate for the required experience.
Two years relevant experience in a highly interactive security role; prior law enforcement experience; prior military experience; strong ability to work within a team environment; and strong computer and communication skills.
Tampa, FL 33620