Chief of Police
GovHR USA is pleased to announce that the Village of DeForest, Wisconsin, resident population of approximately 10,000, seeks experienced and assertive police leaders as applicants to serve as this community’s next Chief of Police.
DeForest is located in south central Wisconsin approximately 10 miles north of the City of Madison in Dane County. DeForest provides ready access to six major highways, rail transportation and Dane County Regional Airport. The community boasts safe, welcoming neighborhoods, an exquisite park and trail system, and a place to “grow the good life”. The Village Board and staff strive to provide smart fiscal policies and cutting-edge initiatives, while offering high-quality, friendly services. DeForest includes a wide range of housing, 6 excellent public schools, and significant park land.
DeForest is governed by an elected Village Board. The Village President is the chief executive officer of Village government and delegates the responsibilities of day to day operations and management of resources to the Village Administrator. The Village President serves as the presiding officer of the Village Board of Trustees and is a voting member of that Board. The Village Board of Trustees determines the policies that affect the Village's present and future well-being and provides leadership for planning and community development.
The DeForest Police Department is staffed by an authorized 19 sworn police officers, 1 Part-Time Officer (Detective) and 3 non-sworn individuals. Police Officers are represented by the Wisconsin Professional Police Association. The Department is housed in a recently built modern facility which facilitates safety, efficiency and a welcoming environment. The Police Department responded to approximately 8000 calls for service in 2017, the largest number of which were service related. The Village of DeForest, as well as the County of Dane, experiences a very low rate of criminal activity and is an excellent and safe place to live and work. The Police Department budget for 2018 is $ 2,473,178 for wages, benefits and operations.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Village is seeking a dynamic and collaborative professional with proven law enforcement managerial experience and strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
The ideal background and qualifications for the Chief of Police position include:
- Minimum of three years supervisory experience, with at least seven years of law enforcement experience. A demonstrated history of progressively responsible command level experience is preferred.
- Certification by the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board or eligibility for such certification.
- Outgoing, positive and approachable personality to encourage accessibility with residents, business and governmental leaders.
- Open and available to Police Department staff and Village employees by using an effective communicating philosophy, seeking input, and being welcoming of and encouraging racial and gender diversity.
- Commitment to continued training, professional development and community engagement.
- Proven history of practicing the principles of community policing and building community problem solving partnerships.
- Labor relations experience.
- Knowledge, and experience with media relations, including experience and support of the use of social media as an opportunity to engage Police Department stakeholders and promote the mission and goals of the Department.
- History of intergovernmental cooperation and relationship building.
- Experience interacting and collaborating with other law enforcement agencies and mutual aid groups.
- Knowledge of current best practices and policies in policing.
- Sufficient experience to review organizational structure, staffing, and personnel assignments and make changes when appropriate, to insure departmental capability to carry out its mission and responsibilities.
- Experience in addressing internal organizational and personnel issues present in most police agencies as well as have demonstrated ability in addressing these problems in a positive, professional, timely and impartial manner.
- Strategic thinker, anticipating issues or trends and must be open to new approaches and technologies while also thinking beyond the walls of the Police Department, understanding the needs of the Village as a whole and of the region’s public safety community.
- Excellent financial management skills, knowledge of capital planning and organizational management and a clear understanding of resource and budgetary limitations while avoiding micromanagement.
- Well-developed writing and public speaking skills.
- Excellent reputation and demonstrate a high level of honesty and integrity.
Successful candidates will possess a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or related fields. Graduation from a Master Degree program is preferred. Leadership training such as the F.B.I. National Academy, Northwestern University’s School of Police Staff and Command or similar programs is highly desirable. The annual salary range for this position is $100,000 -$110,000. The Village of DeForest also offers an attractive benefits package.
DeForest, WI 53532
Interested professionals may submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references by December 27, 2018 to consultants Joe De Lopez and Lee McCann at: www.GovHRjobs.com
Electronic submissions are required. Telephone inquiries: GovHR USA (847) 380-3240
THE VILLAGE OF DEFOREST IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUITY EMPLOYER