CALEA Update Magazine | Issue 96
Changes to Standards Finalized and Proposed
At the Fall 2007 meeting in Colorado Springs of the Commission’s Standards Review and Interpretation Committee (SRIC), changes to two CALEA Standards were finalized. All CALEA Clients were notified of these changes, which take effective immediately:
- In the Standards for Public Safety Communications Agencies, 2nd Edition, the Statement and Commentary for standard 3.2.5 was modified; and
- In the Standards for Law Enforcement Agencies, 5th Edition, the language in the Introduction to Chapter 45 (Crime Prevention and Community Involvement) was modified to include AMBER Alert information and a new Glossary term was added.
SRIC also accepted draft language for the following items and CALEA Clients were requested to review the items and provide comments on CALEA’s website:
In the Standards for Law Enforcement Agencies, 5th Edition —
- Changes in Chapter 71 (Temporary Detention) Introduction, standard 71.4.1, a new sub-section (71.5), a new standard 71.5.1, and a change in Glossary terms;
- Modifying standard 42.1.6 and adding associated Glossary terms;
- Adding the words “full-time” into standard 35.1.2 and adding a sentence into the Commentary;
- Modifying the Reserve and Auxiliary Glossary terms; and
- Modifying standard 46.3.4.
In the Standards for Public Safety Communications Agencies, 2nd Edition —
- Changing the level of compliance on standard 4.3.8.
The Committee also reviewed a proposed standard for elder abuse. After reviewing the CALEA Client’s comments on this item, the SRIC decided to take no further action and instructed the next law enforcement standards review group to consider the standard.